Felipe Massa became the first Brazilian since the late great Ayrton Senna to win his home Grand Prix, after ripping the opposition to shreds at his home track in Interlagos this afternoon. With pole position already under his belt, the young Brazilian went about creating a massive half-a-minute lead, eventually winning by less than 20. With the speed the Ferrari had this afternoon it was entirely possible for him to win by a minute, if not more. Finishing second though was Fernando Alonso, with more than enough points to secure his second world drivers' championship in a row.
The young Spaniard played it cool in the closing stages, as Jenson Button pushed him hard for the eight points. The Brit though found no way past, instead settling for third, bringing to an end a very good run of seven races.
Stealing many headlines today though was Michael Schumacher. Racing in his last ever Formula One race, many expected to see a feisty performance from the German but what people witnessed was probably the best comeback in years, and easily the best drive of the season. Starting from tenth, the German cut his way through the field on the opening lap to go seventh by the end of the opening lap, making that sixth on lap two. Then, after Rosberg shunt in the Williams, Schumacher got a punctured tyre in braking for turn 1 while overtaking Renault's Fisichella, sending the German to the back of the field, more than seventy seconds behind his team-mate.
He then proceeded to claw away at the gap, and being the second-fastest man on track, quickly reeled in the back of the field. On lap 26 he was in 17th place, by 41 he was in seventh, helped by some cars diving into the pits but mostly by heart-stopping overtaking into turn one. The pace of the 248 F1 was simply impeccable, as he peeled past opponents one-by-one on the long main straight and into the first corner.
He stopped on lap 47 for the final time in his career, and picked off another three driver, three of the fastest and most experienced drivers on the grid. Former team-mate Rubens Barrichello was first to go, before he came upon Giancarlo Fisichella for the second time in the afternoon. Although it took him a few laps, he eventually found a way past when the Italian out-braked himself into turn one. The final driver on his list before setting the fastest lap of the race was Kimi Räikkönen, the driver replacing him next year at Ferrari. Like Fisichella, it took him a few laps, but on lap 69 he slid past the McLaren on the inside of turn 1. Job done. Point proved. No more to say.
The final classification red Massa, Alonso, Button, Schumacher, Räikkönen, Fisichella, Barrichello and Pedro de la Rosa, with the Spaniard making good use of his one-stop strategy to turn his dismal 12th on the grid into a point. In tenth place was another drive of a lifetime, as Takuma Sato drove his SA06 to within two places of a point, a spectacular performance considering the pace earlier on in the year. On occasions the Japanese-man was lapping faster than McLaren's de la Rosa, and he finished up ninth in the fastest lap classification, only 1.2 seconds off Schumacher's fastest lap.
Today's race could be remembered for many different reasons. Overtaking, Alonso's second championship, Massa's first home win, Kimi's last at McLaren. The list goes on. But one that 90% of the F1 world will remember it for will be Schumacher utterly breath-taking drive from last to fourth. The other 10%? Well, they'll remember it because it was Schumacher's last one.